Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Fear not.

As long as I can remember I have been consumed with fear. Fear of loss, fear of death, fear of man, fear of conflict, fear of financial struggles, fear of the unknown....

Unfortunately, it seems like everywhere I go fear permeates.  I know, of course that fear will continue to creep it's head until the day Jesus returns, but I do believe that God IS calling his people to walk in a place of unprecedented fearlessness (faith).  That statement alone can make my skin crawl and my flesh writhe, for it knows the implications.  Fearlessness is found in walking through the fire and finding God faithful on the other side, stepping into crazy uncertainty's and watching His hand be over it all, walking through the raging seas and trusting that they will not over take you.  Ultimately, fearlessness (faith) is formed in walking through fear, fire, and trials and coming out leaning on our beloved!

I have been reading the life of David and he, no doubt had the heart beat of God. I marvel and long for unshakable faith that David seemed to walk in so often.  I read the story we all know so well about Goliath...but wow...I mean it just gets me every time...

"The God who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear, He WILL deliver me from the hands of the Philistine's." - 1st Samuel:17:37

David had to have a back story...a time to look back on and say, "God was faithful then, He will be faithful again."

I long for that kind of faith...to trust Him despite ALL odds...

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for He is with me." Psalm 23:4

We cannot escape the wilderness, it is where we are taught, formed, stripped, and ultimately... restored.

The way of God is the wilderness, it's always been the wilderness; the way of God is weakness, voluntary weakness.

Jesus, make us a people who fear nothing but the fear of the Lord.

1 comment:

Ricki said...

Hi Mary...I just listened to a pretty awesome sermon about how David dealt with fear. Check it out:

http://sermons2.redeemer.com/sermons/praying-our-fears

Love you!
Ricki