Sunday, July 15, 2012

The rewards of motherhood

So I thought I would tell you about our dinner time banter tonight.

To give you some background story- I was trying to get dinner ready in the midst of a very dirty house (weekends lend themselves to that) while trying to get the boys to clean up their mess.  All the sudden I hear a crash and the lamp falls crashing on the floor and pieces of glass fly everywhere.  

So far this is but a typical evening.

Lets fast forward to dinner time.

We are all sitting around the table now. I made beans and rice and cornbread.

Charlie- "honey...this looks a little different than last time you made it." 
Annabella- "Yeah...It looks like POOP!"
Ezekiel and Malachi- "Yeah mom...yuckkk!!"
Me- **sigh**
Charlie- "guys don't talk like that...be polite..."
Malachi- "mom, next time you make this can you make it taste.......good?"
Annabella- *silently spitting out her food on the table*

And this is when Charlie and I just bust into laughter.  I mean, what else are ya gonna do?! 

The next hour is spent with me cleaning up our messy kitchen but my eyes are drawn to my charming husband and three little munchkins all on top of him laughing.  

Yes, if I am willing to see beyond the mess...beyond the chaos...beyond the noise... I find joy.  :)


1 comment:

katie warren said...

always important to find the laughter and joy in things.