Monday, January 30, 2012

The foxes

Who knew that a children's lock on a door could cause such anger...I'm talking straight rage.  Didn't think I had it in me??  Think again.  We recently got cheap little children locks on all the doors because of Ezekiel's recent escape attempts (more on that later).  But after putting them on I realized not only could my 3 year old not open the door but after 5 minutes of many attempts, I too could not open our front door.  Now, in my defense the door was definitely jammed before we put them on so it just made it pretty much impossible to open (or that's what I tell myself).  So when I'm carrying snacks, a gym bag, my purse, and jackets... spending 5 minutes opening a door can actually make me want to physically hurt something.  You must know what I'm talking about...when kicking or hitting an inanimate object will be the only thing that will make you feel better and those 4 letter words you promised yourself you'd never say in front of the children somehow slip out.

 Have you ever noticed that when something bad happens that's a big deal, most of the time God's grace rushes in.  It's almost like we know we can't control it and I run to the Lord cause I know He is the only one that can fix it and or give me the grace to walk it out.  But it's those foxes in this life that can continually test us, try us, and press us.  It's when we are all ready to go and the car won't start...it's when we call costumer service on something and we get the rudest person ever...and they don't even speak English!, it's when our kids decide in the morning that they are plotting anarchy and the rest of the day feels like a war zone, and it's when we kick ourselves (and the door) for putting on the most ridiculous child door locks in the world!  It's at these moments through out the day we have a choice...


 A choice to choose joy or to choose complaint.  To choose Him or to choose escape.  To choose the hand that He's given us or to choose fantasy and day dreams.  He allows it all...the pressing, the trials, the hardships, the downright irritations and annoyances of everyday life...actually, he doesn't just allow it...He promises it... "Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you."  1st Peter 4:12

Why am I so surprised? Why am I so shaken?  Whether it be something huge or just a bad day with the kids... why am I so quick to get angry, frustrated, overwhelmed, and ultimately offended and confused with God's ways.

They are opportunity's...each one... no matter how big or how small.  He is asking in every trial, "Will you fix your eyes on me?" "Will you run to me?" "Will you, with My grace, choose joy today and let me put My heart of love and peace within you?"  "Will you trust me?"

I feel like I fail 99% of the time...but that one beautiful percent when He gives me His heart, His eyes, His perspective...in that place, truly nothing else matters. 

This I am confident in...the more I fix my gaze on Him the more I will have His heartbeat and His eternal perspective.  Thank you Jesus for His Mercy's new every morning and I will rest in this assurance-
"And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ" Philippians 1:6

So I am not perfect....I pretty much convinced I am the farthest thing from it...but with His grace I will turn to Him in the good and in the bad....I will trust Him regardless of the circumstances and cry out to Him even in the mundane.

No comments: